A Washington city will soon begin taxing guns and ammunition.The city council in Tacoma voted to levy the tax beginning in July, TV station KIRO reports. Nearby Seattle has had a similar tax since 2016.There will be a $25 tax on firearms, a 2-cent tax per round of ammunition that is .22 caliber or smaller and a 5-cent tax per round on larger ammunition.“Revenue generated from this tax will be used to offset a portion of the impact and cost that gun violence has on our community by being directed toward programs that promote public safety, prevent gun violence, target youth and young adult violence prevention, and other programs intended to reduce violence and promote community healing,” Tacoma's ordinance says, in part.Some gun shops in Tacoma say they'll be forced to close as a result of the tax. It'll make them unable to compete, Surplus Ammo manager Bruce Smith told KIRO."We will close the doors, so there will be 11 people unemployed," he said.KIRO reports there has been no significant decrease in crime since Seattle's gun tax went into effect three years ago. In addition to the tax, Seattle has also held gun buyback events in an effort to reduce gun violence.
- Bastrop cancels youth sports for summer and fall
- Citizens prepare for re-opening economy
- Governor Edwards extends Stay at Home Order to May 15
- Granlund cartoon: Pandemic party
- DeWitt column: Our hero, the dung beetle
- Weatherford cartoon: Stock market beating
- Sparks column: Kindness is contagious, too
- Symkus column: Some suggestions for a super film festival without leaving home
- What every parent needs to know about myopia
- How to take charge of your health: 9 tips to try
- Great Ways to Beat Summer Brain Drain
- Now’s a good time to start saving for college
- Cross-Bore: What Every Homeowner Should Know
- 7 key ways to cover your child's college costs this fall
- Protect your child’s health: Don’t delay well-child visits
- How to keep youth active outdoors – and safe – this summer
- Protect yourself from heat-related illnesses during home DIY projects
- Great grilling ideas for easy home-cooked meals
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular images.
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.