A proposal from U.S. Sen. Kamala Harris, one of several Democrats vying for the party's presidential nomination, would keep schools open until 6 p.m.Harris' Family Friendly Schools Act aims to better align school hours with the hours parents work.Under her plan, schools would open by 8 a.m. When classes end for the day, students would be able to take part in extracurricular activities on campus until 6 p.m.Schools would still be closed on weekends and holidays, as well as during emergency situations, according to TV station KTUL.Teachers wouldn't be required to stay until 6 p.m., although they would have the option of doing so and would be paid extra for helping with extracurricular activities.“My mother raised my sister and me while working demanding, long hours," Harris said in a written statement. "So, I know firsthand that, for many working parents, juggling between school schedules and work schedules is a common cause of stress and financial hardship. But this does not have to be the case. My bill provides an innovative solution that will help reduce the burden of child care on working families. It is time we modernize the school schedule to better meet the needs of our students and their families.”The proposal would start small, working with 500 schools in low-income areas, eventually growing over time.
- Bastrop cancels youth sports for summer and fall
- Citizens prepare for re-opening economy
- Governor Edwards extends Stay at Home Order to May 15
- Granlund cartoon: Pandemic party
- DeWitt column: Our hero, the dung beetle
- Weatherford cartoon: Stock market beating
- Sparks column: Kindness is contagious, too
- Symkus column: Some suggestions for a super film festival without leaving home
- Epic fashion moments: Take a brief peek at the evolution of underwear
- Find peace during pandemic uncertainty with Kundalini yoga and meditation
- Bidet Seat 101: A guide for newbies
- Great grilling ideas for easy home-cooked meals
- How to take charge of your health: 9 tips to try
- How to keep youth active outdoors – and safe – this summer
- What every parent needs to know about myopia
- Protect your child’s health: Don’t delay well-child visits
- Great Ways to Beat Summer Brain Drain
- 8 ways your family can cure cabin fever
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular images.
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.