Talkin' Outdoors

Trail camera photos of a mature buck in Jackson Parish revealed that he was a big deer. The fact that photos only showed him moving at night for the past two years, never showing himself during daylight hours, revealed the buck’s nasty attitude. Thus, members of Two Creeks Hunting Club in Jackson parish hung a moniker on him. They called him Big Nasty.

On December 10, Big Nasty met his maker but came within a crunchy peanut shell of making his get-away.

Schymaya “Shay” Seacrist who works as a Certified Surgical Technologist at St. Francis hospital in Monroe, was preparing to leave her stand that morning and grew tired of the crunch of peanut shells on the floor her dad, George, had left from his time in the stand days prior.

She opened the door to the stand, propped her rifle in the corner, got on her knees and began brushing the shells from the stand before climbing down to wait for her ride. She happened to glance down the line and to her surprise, there stood Big Nasty over a pile of rice bran 155 yards away in the middle of the pipeline she had been watching.

“I had been dropped off at my stand early that morning by Steve Gates, a club member guest, who continued on to his assigned stand, 375 yards down the line. My dad had been seeing deer from this stand for several days prior to that morning and had actually seen Big Nasty three times, shooting at but missing the buck,” said Shay.

As the morning wore on, she had only seen one deer and she texted her dad, who was on another stand in a different location, that she wanted to relocate. He told her to take notice that the squirrels were not moving and the birds were quiet. He convinced her that since it was so cold, creatures were slow to warm up and the deer would be moving later than normal. Finally relenting, she contacted Gates and they agreed he would pick her up at soon after 9:00.

As the time approached 9:00, Gates assumed the hunt was over, packed his gear and began to descend the stand getting halfway down the ladder. He happened to look up toward Shay’s stand and saw the buck stepping into the pipeline nibbling at a pile of rice bran. He waited for Shay to shoot, not knowing she was on her knees brushing peanut shells out of the blind.

“I was not too happy at my dad for leaving peanut hulls all over the floor for me to clean up. I just happened to look up and couldn’t believe my eyes; there stood Big Nasty in the middle of the pipeline.

I hurriedly got my Remington .308 in position, got the buck in the scope, touched the trigger and the buck hit the ground. I couldn’t believe what had just happened and that Steve was on his ladder watching the whole thing unfold,” Shay said.

The buck was a dandy. Sporting ten long points, his 13 ½ inch inside spread did nothing to take away from the characteristics of the rack. Main beams were over 22 inches each, with G2s over 9 inches and G3 10 inches. Bases were five inches. The buck weighed 225 pounds. She took the buck to Simmons Sporting Goods to enter it in the store’s big buck contest where it scored 155 3/8, good enough to put her currently in third place in the women’s division of the contest.

Shay’s dad couldn’t have been happier when he got the phone call from his daughter who was so excited she could hardly speak.

“That’s pretty special and ironic,” said her dad, “shooting him at 155 yards and he scored 155 inches.”