Since its opening in 1930, Morehouse General Hospital has been an integral part of the Bastrop community, and it expanded its services for the community with the dedication of a new ancillary service annex this week in 1986.
The building of the annex was part of a larger project which also included renovation in other areas. The new annex not only added more space to the hospital but also included some of the most up-to-date medical equipment of the time.
The 38,000 square foot annex included an emergency room, physical therapy department with a hydrotherapy area, day surgery suite, intensive and coronary care units, an outpatient waiting area and five surgical suites. New equipment included a whirlpool for hydrotherapy and power columns in the coronary and intensive care units with the latest monitoring technology at the time.
The dedication held on Sunday, May 11, was attended by over 300 people and featured speeches from Hospital Administrator Wayne Bing, Louisiana Hospital Association President Robert Merkel, Bastrop Mayor John Bond and Louisiana Congressman Jerry Huckaby.
Huckaby congratulated Bing and the community on the new annex and Mayor Bond cut the ribboning opening the facility. Tours were then offered to guests and refreshments were provided. As the dedication was on Mothers Day, mothers were recognized and given a token of appreciation from the hospital.
Various businesses who helped in the construction offered their congratulations with Enterprise ads and the dedication was covered in the May 13 edition.
The building of the new ancillary annex marked Morehouse General Hospitals dedication to high quality service and to continually striving for the best healthcare for the community.