The Morehouse Parish Sheriff's Office and Bastrop Police Department both made arrests earlier this week involving firearms.

The Morehouse Parish Sheriff's Office received a phone call from a residence on Wilkins Drive Tuesday, April 22. The caller said there was a disturbance, and the suspect was armed with a pistol. The suspect had left the location before police units arrived, but an all-points bulletin was given out on the vehicle.

The vehicle was located on South Washington Street where the suspect was stopped. The vehicle then left at a high rate of speed. Deputies followed in pursuit. The suspect drove through several stop signs and an active school zone and disregarded officers attempts to stop him.

During the pursuit, a Morehouse Parish Sheriff's Office unit was rammed from behind causing damage to the unit. Deputies were finally able to stop the suspect's vehicle on the Crossett Road. The suspect then ran from the vehicle and was apprehended after a short pursuit by officers on foot. Once the suspect was apprehended, deputies found a handgun in his possession.

The suspect was identified as Sean Nelson. Nelson was charged with aggravated battery of a police officer, aggravated flight from an officer, felon in possession of a firearm, resisting an officer, obstruction of a highway and driving while intoxicated.

The Bastrop Police Department were notified Monday, April 21 about a patient at Morehouse General Hospital who came in with a gunshot wound.

Sergeant Marvin Holmes interviewed the patient. An argument reportedly took place at the intersection of Van Avenue and North Marable, and the other person pulled out a gun and shot the victim.

Assistant Chief Bubba McDuffy conducted a follow up investigation and police were able to identify and arrest the suspect, who was a juvenile. The juvenile was charged with attempted second degree murder and taken to Green Oaks Detention Center.

The gun that was allegedly used in the shooting was recovered. The victim was treated and released from the hospital.