|
|
Bastrop Daily Enterprise - Bastrop, LA
  • Silver Creek Baptist Church to celebrate 90th anniversary

  • Silver Creek Baptist Church will celebrate its 90th anniversary on Dec. 8.
    • email print
  • Silver Creek Baptist Church will celebrate its 90th anniversary on Dec. 8.
    Silver Creek Baptist Church was formed after 13 people were dismissed from their churches to organize a missionary baptist church of Christ in the Silver Creek community, located west of Simpson. These 13 people, who included A.W. and Martha Young, J.F. and Emma Laurence, Mary Turner, Jane T. West, Maggie West, Monroe and Minnie Young, Dave Laurence, Elizabeth (Lizzie) Laurence, Emily Nichols, and Fleta L. West, met in the former Indian Creek school building.
    Silver Creek Baptist Church was decided on, and Wes Turner went to the Association to buy the Indian Creek building for $25.
    On Jan. 13, 1924, J.F. Laurence was licensed to be the church's first pastor. The first to be baptized at the church was Dora Marshall, in June 1924.
    In October 1942, a building and finance committee was appointed to have the building repaired. This committee was comprised of Willie and Fleta West, Otis and Reba West, Ed and Mary West, Floyd Stanley, Harold Marshall and Iona Turner. In 1949, the building was enlarged.
    The church's first piano was bought in March 1958.
    Plans to build a new church building were proposed in 1959, and the building was completed in 1960. In 1968, a fellowship hall was added, and through the years, the hall has been expanded, with the final expansion in 2005 by J.C. and Pat Haymon.
      • calendar