Firefighters arrived at 7:51 to find the home of Robert Randle, 108 N. Alvin, was engulfed in flames on the back side of the residence, according to Montgomery.
Randle, who wasn't home at the time of the fire, said he received a call from his neighbor who told him his house was on fire.
"I'm the only person who lives here. No one was here [during fire]," Randle said. "I'm not sure who called the fire department, but I'm glad someone did."
Although the fire is still under investigation, Montgomery said it was obvious it started in the back room.
"The house wasn't a total loss, but the back part of the home is heavily damaged," he said. "We had the fire under control at 8:32. I'm glad no one was home and no one was injured."