Some of the children in the Morehouse Parish 4-H organization have proven they have what it takes to succeed in rodeo events.
“Hard work, practice and determination lead to District Competition, State Competition and some will go on to Southern Regional Competition in Perry, Georgia,” according to Livestock Club volunteer Jody Straughn.
The Livestock Club meets with children in 4-H at the Morehouse Activity Center on Monday nights to help those who are interested in rodeo event activities.
“They practice speed events and roping,” said 4-H Youth Development Agent Jennifer Moran. “The Livestock Club’s intention is to get children in 4-H involved with horses.”
On June 25 and 26, eleven Morehouse Parish 4-H children went to District 4-H Show at the Ike Hamilton Expo Center in Monroe. 4 -Hers receiving ribbons included:
• Andrea McCaffrey - 7th in AOB Gelding Halter
• Michael Mattice – Blue Ribbon in Breakaway Roping and Team Penning
• Emily Riley – Purple Ribbon in Barrels, Blue Ribbon in Stake Race and White Ribbon in Pole Bending
• Kody Boatright – Purple Ribbon in Stake Race and Pole Bending and Blue Ribbon in Barrels
Tanner Crooks – Blue Ribbon Stake Race, Pole Bending and Barrels
• Alfroncius (Fig) Dowels Jr. - Blue Ribbon in Barrels, Breakaway Roping and Tie Down Calf Roping
• Chelsea Hunter – Blue Ribbon in Pole Bending and Barrels
• Luke Thrash – Blue Ribbon in Breakaway Roping and Team Penning
• Dani Anderson – Purple Ribbon in Barrels and Stakes and Red Ribbon in Pole Bending
• Taylor-Brooke Gunter – Red Ribbon in Stake Race and White Ribbon in Barrels and Pole Bending
• Maci Herrington – Blue Ribbon in Stock Horse Pleasure, Red Ribbon in Western Horsemanship, Western Riding Barrels, Stake Race and Pole Bending and Gold Medal in Horse Bridling Demonstration.
Eight of these 4-Hers moved on to State Competition on July 10-14 at the Ike Hamilton Expo Center in Monroe. Placing at the State Level included:
• Kody Boatright with 7th place in Pole Bending
• Andrea McCaffrey with 8th place in AOB Gelding Halter
• Emily Riley with 7th place in Stake Race
• Michael Mattice with 3rd place in Team Penning
• Dani Anderson with 1st place Barrel and Stake Race and High Point for Sr. Division High Speed Events
• Alfroncius (Fig) Dowels Jr. with 1st place in Tie Down Calf Roping
• Luke Thrash with 3rd place in Team Penning
Four of these Morehouse 4-Hers qualified for Southern Regionals in Perry, Georgia during the first week in August.
Page 2 of 2 -
These four children are Dani Anderson, Michael Mattice and Alfroncius (Fig) Dowels Jr. and Luke Thrash.
“These children show responsibility by caring for these animals and working hard,” Moran said. “They spend a lot of time preparing for these competitions and it really shows.”